Monday, March 26, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23
I've completed the program and I'm giving myself a pat on the back. There were times that I thought I wouldn't be able to finish, but I found a person in both my branches who was willing to help with questions. When they didn't work on days I did, however, I managed to struggle through by myself.
There were two things that interested me (actually there were many more but I will just discuss the two here). One was the wiki pages. I think that they could be very useful in posting program ideas for the library and scanning program ideas from projects years ago (before we used electronic documents). Having everything in one place could save librarians having to look for info. The other thing was for a personal reason. For one of the exercises, I posted a story I had written for my memoir writing class about an experience in the library. I had cut and pasted the story into my blog and the team member who commented on it couldn't find it at first. Then today a co-worker showed me how to add a link to my blog entry that led directly to my story. I think that if I continue with this blog, I will add links to the right side of my blog and have the links lead to different stories that I have written. That way I will be able to share them more easily.
I also had an interesting time reading comments on webpages as I was doing the lessons. I found that there will always be someone who thinks the opposite of everyone else. Someone who criticizes something after 99 people have praised it. I guess it takes all kinds.
This series of lessons has made me aware of many activities on the web. I know there are a lot of features on it but I never tried to learn them. They were always for webmasters or teens. They are a lot easier now and I'm glad I have gotten a taste of them. Now if I only had more time to examine them more closely!
Someone commented on my blog and I wanted to respond back, so I actually commented on her blog. My first!
I think some of the problems I had with some of the lessons deal with the wording of the sites, not the lessons themselves (in saying click on something but it actually had a different name), so I don't know how to suggest on improvements. Maybe correct that link to the World eBook Fair in lesson 22!
If another discovery lesson were offered, I would participate. I have enjoyed the opportunity to participate in this one and thanks for starting me off in new directions!

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Congratulations! We're glad you enjoyed the program.